Some of the most well-known inventions were simply mistakes made by scientists on a different quest. Without these happy mishaps we would be living in a world without silly putty, slinkys, or post-it notes – you know, the important stuff.
I was trying to make a lotion when I ended up with the greatest lip balm! (Although I didn’t realize I had lip balm at first, I just thought I had a jar full of mistake) It’s emollient and shiny and perfect for soothing chapped lips, or giving your non-chapped lips just a little shine. And it is super easy to make. You can add any essential oils that suit your tastes. My current batch is a Grapefruit/Peppermint oil combo, although Lavender/Peppermint is always a favorite too…get creative!
Simple Lip Balm Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 30-40 drops essential oil* of choice (my favorite combo is 20 Lavender and 20 Peppermint)
- Additional items: lip balm tubes, droppers/pipettes
- Melt coconut oil and beeswax over low heat in a jar placed in a small pot of water (basically a double boiler)
- Add olive oil and stir until everything is melted and combined
- Remove from heat and add essential oils
- Use dropper to fill lip balm tubes or tins, work quickly since this recipe begins to solidify pretty fast
- This recipe makes about 32 tubes of lip balm
That’s all there is to it! Now you’ve got lip balm for days or a lot of lip balm for sharing with friends.
* I only use and recommend therapeutic grade essential oils from Young Living.
** Learn more about Young Living Essential Oils and how to become a wholesale member (which means you can get your oils and other natural products at 24% off retail!). When you become a wholesale member through me, I send you a FREE sign-up gift with great reference materials and other oily goodies! Click HERE